BCX TRANSNORDIC 75 waterproof

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: BCX TRANSNORDIC 75 waterproof

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:47 am

Yep, that was on hyper vectors with riva bindings, but I wouldn't say it was my idea of driving them. When I think of "driving" a ski it involves pressuring the cuff of the boot on the lead ski to get more edge earlier in the turn. These boots have a very soft forward flex and don't create any extra tip pressure.

I really like this boot, it has a soft flexing sole, and also a very soft forward flex of the upper boot for good K&G. Although the sole flexes well for K&G it is torsionally stiff and is solidly connected to the upper boot for decent downhill control. The high cuff gives a good connection to my foot/leg without having to over tighten the laces. There is a lot of support in the back of the cuff and to the sides. The most impressive thing about them was how well they could get the skis on edge.

My first impression was that they were light for their size, they had a lot of cushioning and were comfortable. They do run wide and high in the toe area and I can see where they could give people problems with a bad crease but it didn't bother me.
I was disappointed with the lacing. The first hooks above the eyelets at the instep don't lock in the laces like my old leather boots and you can't easily have different tension on the lower boot and the upper. The hooks were also not deep enough to put the laces through twice to use up the extra length and give more support. The tongue is also very soft and there isn't enough material where it is gusseted to fold it nice when putting them on. The gussets just seemed to bunch up but they weren't uncomfortable.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:33 pm

Great photo and thank you for the information on this new boot Al.

It is helpful for you to compare it to plastic touring boots as well as other leather touring boots.

Although there have been many online reports of being thrilled with this boot- there have been few comparing it to other boots...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:51 pm

Yes these boots are great.
I switched from NNN-BC to 75mm bindings to be able to use a wider variety of more supportive boots and I end up liking most this boot which, ironically also exists in NNN-BC, and the Crispi Bre which is very comfortable but not really more torsionally stiff than the Stetind I had before. However, the Bre does work better for my feet than the Stetind for some reason, which commonly gave me heel blisters.

That said, 75mm works absolutely fine in practice. I'm not bothered by the flexing instead of pivoting when walking, I rather like it for skiing. The biggest drawbacks are related to the ergonomics. That some 75mm NN boots fit better with some brand specific 3 pin bindings is somewhat ridiculous (so much for standardization), the penalty for not placing the boot properly on the three pins before locking down can be a chewed out pinhole in the boot. Yes it is possible to remedy busted holes with smiley plates and use silicone to reduce the chance of messing up the instep.
So, with the present knowledge I would have stayed in NNN-BC. But hey ill ski until the boots fail.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:42 pm

Roelant wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:51 pm
I switched from NNN-BC to 75mm bindings to be able to use a wider variety of more supportive boots and I end up liking most this boot which, ironically also exists in NNN-BC...
Perhaps you would not like skiing it as much in NNN-BC system, just sayin' -- hard to know w/o trying it; apples to apples. Sounds like you are happy with the choice -- despite the irony. Enjoy!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:04 pm

Roelant wrote:
I switched from NNN-BC to 75mm bindings to be able to use a wider variety of more supportive boots and I end up liking most this boot which, ironically also exists in NNN-BC, and the Crispi Bre which is very comfortable but not really more torsionally stiff than the Stetind I had before. However, the Bre does work better for my feet than the Stetind for some reason, which commonly gave me heel blisters.

That said, 75mm works absolutely fine in practice. I'm not bothered by the flexing instead of pivoting when walking, I rather like it for skiing. The biggest drawbacks are related to the ergonomics. That some 75mm NN boots fit better with some brand specific 3 pin bindings is somewhat ridiculous (so much for standardization), the penalty for not placing the boot properly on the three pins before locking down can be a chewed out pinhole in the boot. Yes it is possible to remedy busted holes with smiley plates and use silicone to reduce the chance of messing up the instep.
So, with the present knowledge I would have stayed in NNN-BC. But hey ill ski until the boots fail.
I like my skinny skis mounted NNN-BC. However I really like my wider skis mounted 75 mm. The Rotte ST with cable is just awesome on the FT Xplore. I can kick and glide similar to a BC binding with my Alaska 75. I get a whole different level of support with my Ski March while adding the cable. As a matter of fact, I recently toured for turns in the Alaska 75 while having the cable lightly tensioned. I don’t think I gave up much on the k&g, but the support of the cable was an absolute game changer.
Kind of makes me wonder what the hub bub is with the Xplore binding. The Rottefella Super Telemark with cable is the real shiznit!

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:29 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:04 pm
Roelant wrote:

I like my skinny skis mounted NNN-BC. However I really like my wider skis mounted 75 mm. The Rotte ST with cable is just awesome on the FT Xplore. I can kick and glide similar to a BC binding with my Alaska 75. I get a whole different level of support with my Ski March while adding the cable. As a matter of fact, I recently toured for turns in the Alaska 75 while having the cable lightly tensioned. I don’t think I gave up much on the k&g, but the support of the cable was an absolute game changer.
Kind of makes me wonder what the hub bub is with the Xplore binding. The Rottefella Super Telemark with cable is the real shiznit!
Phew! I was starting to think I needed a 4th binding and accompanying boot/ski (s).

P. S. All I have are various Voile's, maybe I need a ST w/ cable to see what the buzz is all about. Achem, probably best to just get a freash mount for them. :oops:

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:03 pm

@wabene the ST matches up to a thinner duckbill like my thermomolded Alaska 75. When the ST / cable first arrived I didn’t think I liked the cable. Now after using it, I would use it on any ski I wasn’t planning on skiing in plastic the majority of the time. The hardwires on the cable squeeze tight to my leather boots. I use very little tension on the Alaska 75, however just by clicking that hardwire onto that boot I have increased lateral stiffness significantly. I can pretty much do a regular kick without hitting the point where the springs start being compressed.
If you’re mostly skiing plastic or a thick Norwegian welted sole like my Alico Ski March, stay with Voile. They are a great company, easy to order parts, and deserving our support. BTW my Ski March ski great in both ST and Voile

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:09 am

@fisheater You're right and actually I have not used the cables yet with this boot, partly because I haven't been on longer continuous descents. Both my NATO and my Sverdrup have the Rotte ST cable frontpiece, so I have no reason to not give them a go on my next tour. And cables ARE another reason to use 75mm.

Anyways, back to topic, the Fischer Transnordic 75 has all I hoped for in a 75mm boot.

@stilltryin You're right as well and it's very possible that I wouldn't like the way the NNN-BC version fits.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:22 am

fisheater wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:04 pm
...However I really like my wider skis mounted 75 mm. The Rotte ST with cable is just awesome on the FT Xplore. I can kick and glide similar to a BC binding with my Alaska 75. I get a whole different level of support with my Ski March while adding the cable. As a matter of fact, I recently toured for turns in the Alaska 75 while having the cable lightly tensioned. I don’t think I gave up much on the k&g, but the support of the cable was an absolute game changer.
I have only tried Rottefella ST 75mm w/cable on old Asolo Morgedal and didn't like the combination; the boot sole felt too soft, the boot had too little support and the heel throw had to be carefully engaged to make sure it seated in the groove. I think it needed a higher and stiffer boot than my old boots and wider skis than my E109, but wide skis with a cable or 3-pin cable binding is also the only application where I think 75mm may lead currently. We will see next year when the Xplore version of this boot is released, but the hard flex is required for downhill. I would like to try both versions on my foot to compare, but it will likely just be in a shop.

I went for Xplore this year since I needed new boots anyway and 75mm does not work optimal for touring skates nor with narrower skis for use in prepared tracks (Åsnes Ousland, will also be used out of prepared tracks). From my experience so far I think that Xplore can be used for any application where 75mm or NNN-BC with leather boots are suitable. The hard flex increased downhill control massively, but was restrictive for xc-skiing like I have experienced with most cable bindings I have used/tested. All three systems has their advantages and disadvantages, but I'll hold that discussion to the Xplore thread. Each should choose what suits them best, but the boot is the most important piece in all systems and this seems like an interesting alternative. Interesting to read that you also like them for xc skiing Roelant.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:16 pm

I’m really starting to like these boots more n’ more. A week or two ago I’d indicated the left boot was kinda pinching my toes (it’d been mentioned by others in a different thread). With some regular use on my Hoks, BC120’s (Switchback X2 binding) and my USGI’s they seem to have become far more comfortable- no pinch anymore and very comfortable. My only beef (a minor one) is the laces, they could’ve come a little longer. I’m impressed enough though that if I ever try out the XP binding I’d get the Transnordics again.